Tuesday 6 March 2012

Trip to Richmix

Today I went to the TV Drama Study day, in which I was talked to by Pete Fraser the chief examiner for OCR Media Studies and Charlie Phillips who is the lead editor of numerous programmes like 'Sherlock' (which I was extremely excited about) and Psychoville (which I am again another big fan of).

There were two parts of the conference, one of which talked about the exam part A, giving tips on note taking, ways in which to write your essay/answer, and time management of both parts.

The second part of the conference consisted of a viewing of one of the programmes in series two of 'Sherlock', in fact it was 'Scandal in Belgravia'. Even though I have seen this episode many a time, the whole cinematic atmosphere made me realise the extent of the editing and how in fact the sound also compromised vastly on the effect of the programme as sudden noises/ crescendos would appear in which you haven't heard of before, due to the cinematic feature of the big screen and vast viewing room. Charlie then talked about his experience with editing and his career, how he got into editing for programmes like 'Sherlock'. This was very interesting for me in particular considering editing is a career I am seriously thinking of pursuing, yet the harsh reality of working as a runner and make your way up the ladder very slowly, maybe even not making it to be a lead editor, is rather daunting. Yet I found out a lot about editing that I wasn't even aware of:

1) There is online editing and offline editing. Offline editing consists of editing raw footage in post-production. Offline editing is when the programme has been fully edited and is then assembled this second part of post production.

2) Rushes are the unedited clips that have just been filmed.

3) Editors are on set too which I thought they were only assigned to post production.

No comments:

Post a Comment